Thursday, September 14, 2006

Sam's Wedding... an essay on reality (Part 1 of 3)

I'm not much for marriage... I tried it once and it broke. But don't let me stop you .... everybody aught to try it at least once, because no two are really the same. That whole "Wedding" part though... Man... I love weddings... hey we all do, especially if the food and drinks are free... well not quite free... they generally cost me the price of a high-end toaster... Hey, admit it ... some of you did not even go to the church, just the diner (Remember...I have photos).

Canadian weddings are all pretty much the same... ok, minor differences in getting the "Principle couple" to kiss, but the goal is the same.... the pomp and cerimony are relatively standard fare.... Everybody has and Aunt or an Uncle that dance to a beat that has is far different than the song the DJ is playing..... and people like me, stay though the entire thing and consume far too much alcohol... and do things that someone with a camera might capture....

This is my friend Sam...

I never thought about her as being "beautiful" before... she was a buddy, a pal and someone you would work with and then go party with her and her friends for hours. But after seeing her dressed up I must admit, she is probably the most beautiful bride I have ever seen.

Now Sam and her new playmate/husband Brian.. who is the most beautiful groom the teenage girls in my house, have ever seen... had "Real" photos done by a very professional photographer (hence forth know as a VPP).

I'm just not much into pre-positioned, "pretty" photos that we get from a VPP.... don't get me wrong, I'm sure every VPP can be creative and do some great stuff that I would bow down too...And the VPP gets paid BFB to take photos... I'm lucky if I get invited to the event.

This blog is about experimentation... and I wanted to do something different with the photos I took at Sam & Brian's wedding. Imagine if the wedding was on July 22, 1957 instead of August 12, 2006.. would you know the difference?

Think again......


Somewhat of a different reality isn't it...
Hey, you know what?... this page needs a song..... yea, we need a song to go along with our reality trip.... DOWNLOAD: "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" this is done by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole..... Oh yea, like you actually pronunciated that name!

I like the 40's and 50's photos .. black and whites.... tons of grain... Shots taken by a guy with a camera the size of a compact car. What if Sam and Brian were the A-List, hot Hollywood couple........
"Hey, I didn't know those two got married........"

I was trying out some film with an ISO rating of 3200... the stuff is really shitty and has little use other than to get shots without bothering folks with a blinding flash (sorry to the lady who got blinded on the stairs, I hope the stiches don't scar). After getting the negatives back, I noticed that the shots look like they were taken off of an old 1950's style, black&white TV...

How do we know they were not.....
"Hi, there.. Tony Falconi here, and welcome to Dancing with my Aunty and Uncle"


"Our contestants are all waiting for the music to start"


"Oh boy!.. look at them go... One or two seem to be falling off the beat"


"Wow, I think we have our winner here folks"!


Now I did not mean to slam the VPP. Most VPP's are butt ugly.. that's why we pay them to take our photos, and we don't shoot theirs. In this case though the VPP was attractive... had a great smile... ooopss, was that my finger that hit the shutter button?... sorry. But this page can also change things around a little.... change perceptions, change realities.... I wasn't shooting a VPP at a wedding.... No, No, No my friends... I was back in the Sixties.........
VPP Lisa Drenters

See ya next week!

Oh, please leave your comments right below this line!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! Thank you very much. I am truly flattered that you have gone to so much trouble. I love the concept. The old TV show shots are so creative and funny! In fact the whole thing is creative, and what you wrote is so kind and well done. I love it! Thanks for making us movie stars for a moment. :)

Anonymous said...

sam is such a pretty bride ...
and you´ve done a great job on those pictures :)

Anonymous said...

Aww, you're blogging!

My old man is all grown up.

Excuse me...I'm beginning to mist up a bit here.

Sincerely
- Reginald Q. Monkeyboy III

SixBySeven said...

Oh sure Dan..(my son).. don't use your real name!!

Call home sometime.

Anonymous said...

I can't use my real name! The gummint's will get me! I don't want to be on some "Original Todd accessories" List.

Planning on giving you a call tomorrow (thursday) evening. I've been working most nights until close this week.